Welcome to the EarthCARE Validation Portal. The (restricted) EarthCARE Validation Principal Investigator portal can be accessed here.
Introduction to the EarthCARE mission
EarthCARE will measure the 3D structure of cloud and aerosols, together with collocated observations of solar (shortwave) and terrestrial (thermal) radiation. For this purpose, the satellite carries four scientific instruments, two active instruments – a lidar and a radar – to measure the vertical distribution of clouds and aerosols, an imager to collect cloud and aerosol information across the satellite ground track and a broadband radiometer for measuring outgoing reflected solar and emitted thermal at the top of the atmosphere.
Further information can be obtained from the following resources:
- The ESA EarthCARE website at https://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Observing_the_Earth/The_Living_Planet_Programme/Earth_Explorers/EarthCARE
- The ESA Earthnet portal at https://earth.esa.int/web/guest/missions/esa-future-missions/earthcare
- The EarthCARE site at the EOportal https://directory.eoportal.org/web/eoportal/satellite-missions/e/earthcare
- The JAXA EarthCARE website at https://global.jaxa.jp/projects/sat/earthcare/
- A scientific paper about the EarthCARE Mission in the Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society: http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/BAMS-D-12-00227.1
- The EarthCARE Mission Requirements Document
- The EarthCARE System Requirements Document
- The EarthCARE Instrument Description
- The EarthCARE Validation Requirements Document
The geophysical validation of EarthCARE involves a suite of correlative instruments and methods. This portal provides an overview of the validation activities and support functions for the validation teams. The contributions are resulting from the responses to the ESA Announcement of Opportunity (AO) for the Validation of EarthCARE.
The contributions have been presented and reviewed during the 1st ESA EarthCARE Validation Workshop in June 2018 in Bonn, Germany.
The scientists in the EarthCARE validation team will collaborate with ESA algorithm and instrument experts and will be provided with preliminary EarthCARE data products as soon as available, hence well before public release of the consolidated data products.
Scientists that are interested in collaboration and joining the ESA EarthCARE Validation Team should contact email@example.com
- The EarthCARE launch date has been set to July 2022. Further news on the mission status can be found here (Mission Status)
EarthCARE Validation Resources
- A Summary of Contributions to the ESA EarthCARE Validation Programme
- The Scientific Validation Implementation Plan (not yet available)
- The (restricted) portal for the ESA EarthCARE Validation Team Principal Investigators
- The reference documents of the EarthCARE Validation Announcement of Opportunity (now closed, but you can still contact firstname.lastname@example.org in case you are interested in collaboration)
- The report of the 1st ESA EarthCARE Validation Workshop held in June 2018 in Bonn, Germany (the presentations can be found here)
- The ESA Atmospheric Validation Data Centre (EVDC)
- [Links to already existing overpass and visualisation tools, placeholder for future tools]